Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Grandma Jean's Beans

(Transferred from the old blog, Numeenum)

So now I have another family recipe, this one coming from my Dad's mom. It is a delicious, sweeter alternative to traditional chili. For a healthier, lower fat version use Turkey sausage and put in 1-2 teaspoons of rubbed sage. The recipe also calls for using dry beans. For the meal I made recently I used a 3 cup can of kidney beans and 1 cup dried pinto beans. This recipe is versatile and you can use whatever beans suit you. The standard recipe uses only the pinto beans, but I like a mix.

1 lb dry pinto beans 6 cups water and additional water
2 tbs oil
1 package Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage
1 cup chopped onions
2 medium or 3 small tart apples (Granny Smith work best)
2 tsp garlic
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1tsp chili powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cans (8oz) tomato sauce
8 oz water

Soak 1 pound of dry pinto beans over night in 6 cups of water (don't forget to rinse), or do a quick soak by rinsing the beans, bringing the water and beans to a boil, covering and setting aside for an hour.

After soaking drain the water, replenish the water and add 2 tbsp of oil. Cook on medium/high and simmer until beans soften a little, about 30 minutes to an hour.

Brown sausage and break into bite size pieces. Core apples and chop, leaving the skin. Transfer beans to a crock pot or large pan. Drain sausage and add to beans. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer 2-4 hours, or all day in a crock pot.


This is something that actually tastes even better after a day or two. So leftovers are always good.

For a vegetarian option, I think that using spices in sausage along with tvp or other soy 'meat' should cover it. I haven't tried it, but I will eventually. The spices include basil, parsley, garlic, salt, thyme, ginger, red pepper flakes, black pepper, nutmeg, sage, and paprika.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of something I've been meaning to tell you. A few weeks ago I had a dream that we were at some sort of children's birthday party and you had this amazing recipe for soy milk shakes (funny enough the recipe had three ingredients, soy creamer, soy milk and soy ice cream, ha), anyway, you had this awesome recipe and you had it written down on a piece of paper so you could make it. I was trying to write down the recipe (ha) and you took it away from me and told me it was a secret recipe and that I couldn't have it. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs